Collision aftermath

Wreckage litters a rural Rice Lake intersection (foreground) while a pair of overturned vehicles are visible in the background, following a collision Saturday, July 24, 2021, that resulted in injuries to four people, two of them from Barron. See story alongside. Photo courtesy of Wisconsin State Patrol

Two Barron residents were among four people who were pinned in the wreckage of their vehicles, along with a fourth person who was injured, following a crash last Saturday morning, July 24, 2021, at the intersection of 26th Avenue and U.S. Hwy. 53 in the town of Oak Grove, about four miles north of the Rice Lake city limits.

According to the Eau Claire office of the Wisconsin State Patrol, the injured included Barron residents Gail Espeseth, 70, and his wife, Roxanne, 65.

According to the Wisconsin State Patrol Spooner office, a pickup truck driven by Gail Espeseth, Barron, was going west on 26th Avenue approaching the Hwy. 53 intersection, shortly before 11 a.m. Saturday.

Meanwhile, a 2016 Chevrolet Traverse operated by Charlene Cureton, 67, of Adrian, Mich., was going south on Hwy. 53.

The Espeseth vehicle crossed the northbound lanes without incident, but then entered the southbound lanes and was struck by the Traverse, the Spooner State Patrol added.

Both vehicles rolled over.

The Spooner State Patrol Office said that Espeseth, 70 and his wife, Roxanne, 65, were taken to the hospital with suspected minor injuries.

Cureton was taken to Marshfield Medical Center, Rice Lake, with suspected minor injuries, and a passenger in her vehicle, Frederick G. Baumann, 78, also of Adrian, Mich., was flown to Mayo Clinic Health System, Eau Claire, with suspected serious injuries.

The southbound lanes of Hwy. 53 were closed while the accident scene was cleared.

Also responding to the scene were the sheriff’s departments of Barron, Washburn and Burnett counties, the Shell Lake Police Department, the Rice Lake Fire Department, and Marshfield Medical Center ground ambulance, Rice Lake.

The accident remained under investigation as of press time Tuesday, July 27, according to the State Patrol.