Temperatures estimated at more than 30 degrees below zero hampered efforts by Barron-Maple Grove and Cumberland firefighters to put out a fire that destroyed a home Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019, in the town of Stanfold.
The fire broke out at 1:19 p.m. Wednesday at the home of the Cody Fankhauser family, 1293 20 1/2 Ave. No one was hurt, and the residents of the home managed to escape with the family dog before firefighters arrived.
Barron-Maple Grove Fire Chief Mike Romsos said it took four tanker loads of water from Barron, and three additional tankers from the Cumberland Fire Department, to extinguish the blaze.
The fire rekindled shortly before 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, and firefighters were on the scene for roughly another three hours in temperatures estimated at 34 below zero, according to Romsos.
There are three homes on the property where the fire broke out. Neither of the other two were threatened by the fire, although firefighters doused nearby tanks containing LP gas, gasoline and diesel fuel to make sure they weren’t threatened by the flames, the chief said.
For further details, read the Feb. 6 edition of the Barron News-Shield.